Writing is an Itch. This is a place to scratch.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Reunions

It happens to nations once torn apart by civil war. It happens to rock n' roll bands, high school friends, and to lovers. Reunions.

Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant as Elinor and Edward in the 1995 movie adaptation of Austen's classic.

The final coming together of Edward Ferrars and Elinor Dashwood in Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility (1811), is to me one of the great reunions in literature.

Reunions happen in many places around the world and sometimes they are glorious. It happened to Anita and me during our recent visit to California.

I see my family about every two years and it is always wonderful. But Anita and her family had not seen each other in fourteen years, so that meeting was like something approaching epic.

The visit was more amazing still because we were also reunited, as it were, with some people who have become dear to us, but until then we had only known them via web blogging and email correspondence. Below are some pictures with captions: a sort of travelogue of these most memorable reunions.
----------
First, we flew to one part of California and had an indescribably happy reunion with my sister Nancy and her precious family. The up-till-all-hours fellowship and the fairy-like magic and hospitality of their home alone would have made the trip worthwhile (she is a home decorator par excellence; see her blog Fete et Fleur). My sister is very discreet concerning the information available on the internet about her family, so all I can say is that you brought a new level of joy to my heart. I love you ALL deeply. (And no, Anita and I are not standing in front of my sister's house. If only.)

A view from the Korbel Winery. Beautiful garden and history tour, followed by Champagne tasting.

Dinner at "The Claim Jumper" restaurant. Anita and I had never been to a place where the food was great and the portions were maniacal. That thing to the left of my brother's plate that looks like a small Bolivian village is actually a hamburger.

Southern California has some beautiful flora which never ceases to amaze me, like this Moreton Fig Tree that was planted in the city of old Orange in 1875. I had to walk across the street to capture something of its great size. It was so big that I did not notice the guy standing in the tree until he let out this blood curdling scream that made me literally jump in the air. The base lout was in the tree long before I got there and long after I left (I saw him there on the return trip), which reminds me of another thing about California that never ceases to amaze me: weirdness.

Anita and Penny, one our dearest blogger friends from Angelsdoor and a partner on the fun blog Nowhere. Our friendship moved from web to face-to-face. It was a marvelous reunion with a marvelous human being.

With Anita's very dear childhood friend, Edie.

Me on one of our regular morning walks in beautiful uptown Whittier.

The reunion with Anita's relatives and our mutual blogger friends. The party began at 10:00AM and everyone was having so much fun that it didn't break up until about 10:00PM, and it was supposed to be a "breakfast" event. This was an absolutely beautiful experience. I don't know how else to put.


Reunion of the Bloggers (sounds like a movie thriller). From left to right: the non-stop hilarious Debbie from From Venting to Viggo, Anita's dear cousin Marie from Dancing in Tattered Shoes, my Anita from Castles Crowns and Cottages, Bunny from I'm Just Sayin', and Yours truly. If you got a barrel full of monkeys, hit them with a massive dose of laughing gas and put them in the middle of a last comedian standing competition, they would not have had as much fun and laughter as we did that day.

Reunions happen in many places around the world and sometimes they are glorious.




10 comments:

Bunnym said...

yep..that was epic all right...
We had planned to spend a couple of hours but we had so much fun we extended it 3 more. Ruben..it warms my heart to know that Anita has found a truly loving and caring man and that she is very very happy. We must do this again...

Blogger Reunion the sequel.

bunny

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I agree with Ms. Bunny up top....we have to go out much more often. What a blessing you gave me by taking me back home. Bisous

Fete et Fleur said...

We had the most wonderful time with you too!

Hugs!
Nancy

Marie said...

Ruben, Our reunion was one I'll never, ever, ever forget! Juan Carlos said he could tell how happy I was by just watching me. I didn't have to say a word. And I know we'll do it again. Hopefully I'll be able to go out and visit you as well. That would be a blast. I love you both so much. Until we see each other again, happy blogging!
Elizabeth

Debbie said...

What a day, what a night. It was wonderful from beginning to end. SO NICE TO SEE YOU AND ANITA LIVE AND IN PERSON! We have to come out to MN for a visit. For reals! But dayum, I have gotten SOOOOO FAT. I didn't always look like this ... ask Anita! LOL!

XOXO
Debbie

Bonnie said...

Hi Ruben, welcome back to blogville. What wonderful pictures! I am so happy you and Anita had a wonderful trip.

Hope you both enjoyed the 4th, Bonnie

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

You sweet thing, you...thank you for visiting DIVERSIONS...let us hang on and await the realization of our dreams! Moi

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Ruben

I will treasure our visit forever. You and Anita are very special people. I had such a great time!
Blessings,
Penny

C'est moi Claudette said...

I had to come all the way down to your last post. Isn't it the best feeling in the whole wide world to meet bloggy friends? I know it happened to me.
Your wife is one very special lady in my eyes and in my heart. You both are so loving.
BTW... the "tolkein friendship" read was perfect. That is one of my husbands and sons favourite movie also.
I feel the same way about all my "friends"... they "get" me.
Now about Balzac and the you know what? I think they should read you "friendship" post LOL
Hope your both enjoying your weekend.
Love Claudie
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Rubin,
You and Anita have "introduced" me to the most interesting and enchanting people I have ever met! Thank you! I'm amazed and grateful for all the creativity and whimsy out in the world. It definitely gives me hope.
Cheers! Leslie