Writing is an Itch. This is a place to scratch.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

"POW!" Therefore I Am

By Ruben Rivera. Art by Anita Rivera.
All copyright laws apply.
Tea Rat: Rattus, I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time.

Rattus: That sounds serious.

Tea Rat: It is and if I can't get an answer I'm afraid of what comes next.

Rattus: You're scaring me, son. What is it?

Tea Rat: How can I know if I exist? 

Rattus: The philosopher Decartes answered that question with the famous dictum cogito ergo sum, I think therefore I am. So the fact that you're asking the question proves you exist to ask it.

Tea Rat: I don't know. That sounds like a bunch of hocus pocus to me. Just because you think something doesn't mean it exists.

Rattus: No, no, you misunderstand. He didn't say that anything you can think of must exist. Just that thinking is evidence of the existence of a thinker.

 Tea Rat: Sure, sure, but there's just one part I still don't understand.

Rattus: What part is that?

Tea Rat: The whole part.
Tea Rat:  OW !  My arm!

Rattus: Tell me, if you don't exist, who's pain is that? 
.

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

Oh, yes I think therefore I am and sometimes thinking to much could cost a lot of pain ...

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Heeeehehehe!!! Yep, ya sure can't feel pain is ya don't exist!

This was great Ruben and is there anyone more talented that that beautiful little bride of yours???

Love the illustrations too!

Man, I just wanted to thank both you and 'Rattus' for hoppin' on my blog. 'Sure hope I don't disappoint.

Please feel free to drop in often. Heck ya can even kick your shoes off, put your feet up and sit a spell. :o)

God bless ya Man and have yourself a fantastic week!!!

RDA Pony Tales said...

Oh my goodness Ruben, the talent you and dear Anita have is quite something else.... I am going to love following these two characters!
Thank you for your visit and kind comments. Spotty loves to be followed, but most of all he loves the extra hugs :)
Kind regards, Abby

hi-d said...

hahaha...too funny. You and that sweet Anita of yours makes a GREAT team! Thanks so much for visiting my blog yesterday and for becoming a "follower." I look forward to following you as well.

Best,
Heidi (hi-d)