Writing is an Itch. This is a place to scratch.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

2012 Rat Poetry Slam: Valentine Apocalypse Edition

By Ruben Rivera© Art by Anita Rivera©

Tea Rat: Rattus, did you hear there's going to be a Rat Poetry Slam for the best Valentine poem of 2012.

Rattus: Really? Well, I'm going to win that prize. 

Tea Rat: You mean you're going to win second prize, because someone else is going to win the first. 

Rattus: And who might that be? 

Tea Rat: Why me of course, boyo.

 Rattus: You? You couldn't rhyme two identical words. 

Tea Rat: I tell you I'm going to win the Rat Poetry Slam to prove my love for Miss Moussie. 

Rattus: I think your cheese has slid off its cracker, son. I tell you that I'm going to win that contest to prove my love to Bebe the mouse.

Tea Rat: OK let's put it to a vote. Let's ask our readers whose poem is the best. 

Rattus: You mean I'll write some Valentines poetry and you'll write some and our friends will vote for the winner? 

Tea Rat: Exactly.

Rattus: I don't know. It sounds so crude and and unromantic.

Tea Rat: Brrrauck...bauck...bauck...bauck...bauck.  Brrauck...bauck...bauck. 

Rattus: Are you implying that I'm chicken? 

Tea Rat: Brrauck. 

Rattus: Very well then, you're on. And may the best rat win. 

Tea Rat: Thank you. I will. 

Rattus: Laugh it up. We'll see who laughs last.

Tea Rat: Tee...hee...hee... 

Rattus: Ha...ha...ha 

Tea Rat: Tee...hee...hee...

Rattus: Ha...ha...ha 

Tea Rat: Tee...hee...hee... 

Rattus: Ha...ha...ha
------   
From now until Valentines Day, readers will have the chance to vote for their favorite Valentine poem from these two crazy rats. Two poems will be posted at a time. Just say in your comment which poem you like best, Rattus' or Tea Rat's. The first two poems will be posted in a few days.

9 comments:

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

A Valentine poem CONTEST! How exciting... Now let me see... This will be most difficult as I have a soft spot for one rat... hmmmmmmmm... Let the poems begin.. Bebe loves you BOTH.. Although Rattus did leave a beautiful, pull at my heart strings, lovely POEM for me in NOWHERE.... but then we have dear Tea Rat, who, by just standing there in his wellies can hold his own with the best of them..
With great admiration,
Bebe

Palomasea said...

:)))
This will be so difficult!! But, if we must, we must...
bring on the poetry dears!!!
xoxo,
- Irina
heee...

The Dutchess said...

O..now Miss Moussie gets all curious..A Valentine poem...goodness..what fun..:-)

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Tea Rat
I am sorry to hear that your dearest friend in the world is not feeling well. Yes, I would be happy to make up a 40lb "Extended Family size box of my special chocolates.. Thank you for including your P.O. box and credit card number.. Not to worry, I will not say a word to him, shhhhhhhh...
What a great surprise. Are you sure the chocolates are for ahhem... Rattus???????
Yours truly, Bebe

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Rattus
Oh no! Tea Rat is ill, is something going around? I hope it is nothing serious...
You wish to order my 100lb "Feeds An Entire Bolivian Village" size of chocolates? and you want to use Tea Rat's credit card for the purchase????
(Pardon me but I am trying to figure out how this is a gift if he is paying for it)
Well, one moment while I run his credit card...
There is a slight problem... Tea Rats' card will not clear... The man on the phone told me to CUT IT UP... YIKE... But, if you like, you may send me a check and I will get this out to you as quick as a cat can climb a tree.
Warmest regards,
Bebe

Rattus Scribus said...

Why that rat. Tea Rat ran up my credit card and now it's overdrawn.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Rattus
Message received... A money order will do fine.. Hope that bird can fly fast... I will ship out your chocolates asap!
p.s. Mums blog is on the blitz it seems..
Bebe

lisa Moran, Bilancia Designs said...

How clever!
Bring them on!!!!!!! :) :)
I hope Anita told you how wildly CRAZY life has been lately...so now I'm doing "catch up" and coming to my FAVORITE places.
Your site always puts a smile on my face. :)
Have a wonderful weekend!!
Lisa xo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TEA RAT A POET? Surely not. For he can't even distinguish between the correct WHOSE and WHO'S....teeeheeeeeeeeeeeee Wait, I'M TEA RAT!!! Yikes, it was me that messed up! Scratch that...I am whipping out my poetry pen and I am gonna WIN!